Friday, June 3, 2011

Katie's Tailbone

How did I NOT post this??????

In early April Katie went down our little slide and landed on her tailbone. This sent her into 90 minutes of unconsolable crying. She couldn't get up off the ground and collapsed at the attempt. It was scary but after 90 minutes she slowly became herself again.

The next day she was playing with Thomas and fell on it again. Then followed 3 hours of crying and the inability to get up off the ground. I called her pediatrician. They said she likely broke/fractured her tailbone and that there was nothing to do but let it heal slowly. They asked if I wanted to xray it. I asked if treatment would change with xray results and the answer was no.

I then began to look at alternative treatments. Katie was in a lot of pain, crying all the time and grabbing her backside and screaming in pain. I called a chiropractor and since it was already Friday afternoon and the girls were napping, we scheduled a Monday appt. Katie woke up at 4:30 PM crying and upset and unconsolable. I called back the chiropractor to see if there was any chance of getting her in pronto. They agreed and squeezed her in.

This was a new experience for me. I've never been to a chiropractor. The entire experience was rather uncomfortable. I was not convinced that the outcome was going to be acceptable or even genuine.

He did some testing (again not real comfortable) and then treated her. My theory was that if it didn't work- at least I tried. But if it did work then I had done something right. He tapped on her and she screamed in pain. We took breaks, I held her, she did as well as anyone could expect. Big crocodile tears down her cheeks.

He finished, she sat up, looked at me and said, "I better! Mama, I better!" The girl smiled and was ready to go. Can't argue with that! She was still tender for a few weeks, but I can't deny that he really helped her. Still not an experience I'm entirely comfortable with, but something that was successful nonetheless.

No comments: